We're looking for an experienced technical leader to join our team full time in Vienna, Austria.
Reporting directly to executive management the Technical Director will set the standard for technical work within the studio, and take responsibility for developing and supporting the engineering team's skill set towards achieving IMI's game design and artistic goals.
The ideal candidate possesses years of commercial games development experience, but is comfortable taking on the role of mentor, supporter, and leader for a small but growing team of engineers across a wide range of skill sets. You should also have a robust knowledge of game technologies and be comfortable with the responsibility of selecting and promoting the appropriate technical standards, directions, workflows, and technologies we use within the studio.
- Work together with our Production, Management, Game and Creative Direction teams to determine what technology is best-suited to achieve the goals set for each game project; you should understand our team, our technical capabilities, and fully understand the best games engine and middle-ware for the project at hand.
- Together with Technical and Production Leads, you'll manage the development process, identifying the programming tasks necessary to achieve pre-defined goals.
- Ensure that each game is built with a productive methodology and solid coding practices, technical briefs, code reviews, while keeping in mind long term quality and future code sharing between projects.
- Identify and communicate technical risks on projects and develop contingency plans to put into place together with the team.
- Maintain positive working relationships with external technology vendors.
- Maintain regular internal communications and encourage a pleasant team atmosphere.
- Facilitate communication both within and across disciplines.
- Most importantly, we expect you to demonstrate good leadership, empathy, charisma, enthusiasm and sense of commitment to mentoring and guiding the progress and growth of game projects and the company.
- Manage the performance of the programming team staff and manage direct reports.
- Take responsibility for recruitment, on-boarding, development and professional training of the programming team.
- Propose solutions to improve the development of projects in the studio.
- Identify and promote the application of technical best practices within the studio.
Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of commercial experience in the games industry and preferably 2 years or more in a similar role.
- Exceptional management and communication skills, with a strong interest in mentoring other developers while displaying a keen sense of empathy.
- A good knowledge of programming languages and software engineering practices.
- Experience on developing AAA titles on PC, Console and Mobile platforms, from project start to submission and beyond.
- Experience working with game engine architecture, ideally Unity and Unreal.
- Proficiency in C / C++ / C#.
We place a high value on social competence and emotional intelligence in our team, so you should have experience or be comfortable with working together in multi-faceted games teams where you'll potentially work across disciplines with other team members in the company.
We will support the right candidate with relocation and settlement to Vienna, Austria.
Legal notice: Austrian employment law requires we list the legal minimum wage for any advertised position. For this position, the minimum monthly full-time salary would be gross €3,800 per month, 14 times per year (IT Collective Agreement, Regelstufe ST2). The actual salary and benefits package will depend on your qualifications and experience.